Couperin: Apotheosis of Corelli & Apotheosis of Lully
Locatelli: Sonata for Flute and Basso continuo
Boismortier: Sonata for Two Viols
Boismortier: Concerto for Flute, Oboe, Violin, Bassoon, and Basso continuo
Viviani: Sonata for Trumpet
Elizabeth Blumenstock & Robert Mealy, violins
William Skeen & Kenneth Slowik, violoncellos
Steven Lehning, viola da gamba & violone
Sandra Miller, flute
Debra Nagy, oboe
Dominic Teresi, bassoon
John Thiessen, trumpet
Corey Jamason, harpsichord
In the 18th century, both Italy and France had their own unique ways of composing and performing music. It became a widely held opinion that the unification of these two styles would amount to no less than the perfection of music. François Couperin’s two musical apotheoses—intended to deify the leading exponents of each of these opposing styles—frame a program that draws attention to this “perfection” through the music of composers from both sides of what was a passionate discourse.
SAVE 15% BY PURCHASING ALL FIVE MAIN TICKETED EVENTS
Buy at least one ticket to each of the following five ABS Festival productions and receive 15% off each complete set.
1. 'Tis Natures Voice - Sunday July 28 at 4:00 p.m.
2. Treasures from Lyon - Friday August 2 at 8:00 p.m.
3. Les Goûts Réunis - Saturday August 3 at 7:00 p.m.
4. Bach Mass in B Minor - Sunday August 4 OR August 11 at 4:00 p.m.
5. Handel • Bach • Lotti - Wednesday August 8 OR Thursday August 9 at 8:00 p.m.